The lecture showcased my (Craig Power) career as a Mechanical Engineer, OHS Specialist and Consultant , Business Improvement Advisor, Learning and Development Coordinator, Inventor of the digital isolation Lock and Tag process termed “iSOL8” and the award from Engineers Australia – as being one of Australia’s “Most Innovative Engineers – 2017” for the iSOL8 innovation.
The lecture covered:
- Career Road Map & Highlights
- What works & Common mistakes
- Individual Success and the Safety Advisor Role
- Lessons Learnt
- Beliefs and Actions
The students undertook two exercises based on an actual events that occurred whilst I was an OHS Specialist.
- Analyse and determine contributing factors and root causes when an employee was scooped up in the bucket of an bogger in an underground mine
- Determine the first steps that should be taken to calm down interested parties and take control to solve a major problem which arose from a Health and Environment related community outrage event in a town located in the Pilbara – Western Australia and the client’s Japanese customer.
The University students were also advised on my work being done to improve the educational and career outcomes for year 10 and year 11 Western Australian High School students through the “JUST Start It Program” and the P-Tech STEM based program being piloted at Cecil Andrews College.